Rio de Janeiro has 72.3km of beaches. There are many beaches with different characteristics. Some more famous, others cleaner and more preserved. The practice of sports on the beaches of Rio is also very common and each beach has its own sports culture. Let’s talk about the 7 best beaches in Rio de Janeiro
7. PRAIA DO FLAMENGO beach is usually not suitable for swimming, but it has the most beautiful view of the sugar loaf. Perfect for a long walk or to practice the most diverse sports, such as football, basketball, skateboarding in the sports complex of the Aterro do Flamengo.
6. PRAIA DE COPACABANA Certainly the most famous beach in Brazil, Copacabana beach is the most frequented by tourists. Where are located some of the main hotels in the city. It has an extensive strip of sand where many events take place, such as concerts, beach sports competitions and the celebrated New Year’s.
5. PRAIA DA BARRA, Barra de Tijuca beach is the most frequented in the west. it has a large extension and is usually more empty than the beaches on the south side. Barra beach is an excellent place for Kyte surfing. Since 2016 it has a metro station that facilitates access.
4. ARPOADOR Arpex, as it is known in the world of surfing, is one of the main surf spots in South America. Although small, the beach has a perfect view of the sunset that is applauded every day. It has excellent lighting and is full until late at night on summer days.
3. GRUMARI With 2.5 km of extension it is in the West Zone of the city of Rio de Janeiro. It is located in an area with many hills, cliffs, greens and restinga vegetation, with a lot of preserved nature around it, so it is a region of Environmental Reserve, to ensure that the local beauties and the ecosystem are preserved.
2.LEBLON / IPANEMA The beaches of Leblon and Ipanema are divided by the Jardim de Alah waterway, however they are constituted by the same strip of sand. Famous for Brazilian music, soap operas and films, they are frequented by celebrities, tourists and cariocas. Besides volleyball, the most practiced sports are futevolei and altinha, which are sports invented on the beaches of Rio where they are still practiced today.
1. PRAINHA Located on the west-side of Rio, the little beach is one of the best havens in the city. Commonly occupying a place among the best beaches in Brazil in tourism publications. In addition to being surrounded by natural beauty, it has the Blue Flag of the Foundation For Environmental Education, attributed to beaches and coastal areas that meet 33 environmental and quality requirements.